SERVES: 4 PREP: 10 MINS COOK: 30 MINS
1 medium sized onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
200g mushrooms, finely sliced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (If you can't get, use 1 tbsp dried thyme.)
1 x 400g tin black eyed beans
salt & pepper
To serve: Basmati rice & some freshly chopped coriander or thyme
1. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and sauté gently for a few minutes until softened.
3. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms have wilted.
4. Stir in all the spices and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and thyme. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Open and drain the tin of black eyed beans. Add them to the pot and stir gently. Cook for 5 minutes to warm the beans through.
7. Just before serving, add the cream and stir well. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
It's a good idea to season a small amount in a separate bowl before you go seasoning the whole pot. Then you'll know exactly how much salt you need!
8. Serve on a bed of fluffy basmati rice and top with a sprinkle of freshly chopped coriander or thyme.